Tuesday, September 17, 2013

Scandinavian Wedding: Copenhagen

There are only so many cobblestone streets, picturesque waterways, colorful old world architecture, and all around beautiful scenery that can fit in one post, so I am splitting up my Scandinavian adventure in to a few parts.  Starting with my first stop: Copenhagen.

Upon dropping off my bags at the central train station, I made it a mission to find a square.  Well not just any square, only one with cobblestone streets and an outdoor cafe would do.  I just wanted to bask in being in Europe again and sip a cafe americano while taking in the view in complete quiet.  Relaxing while drinking a cup of coffee with a toddler is few and far between to begin with, so I couldn't imagine anything better at the moment.  I turned out of the train station and walked down the street to fully realize I was definitely back in Europe when I saw this building (only in Europe is building after building such architectural eye candy):



After a walk down the main shopping street of Strøget, I ended up here:


I couldn't have dreamed up a more perfect location.


(My little spot looking out, aaaaahhh heaven!)

I walked around some more taking in the views and admiring all the bikes--they were everywhere parked on the streets, whizzing by, and leaning up against buildings:



I met up with my friend who had just flown in, and we hopped on a canal tour, taking in the famous sights by boat:


Famous Little Mermaid Statue




We strolled through Nyehaven probably the most recognizable street in Copenhagen:







We sampled Danish hot dogs, pastries, and soft serve, all three an absolute must!  


And then took off to visit the famed hippie part of town: Christiana.  It was a totally different view of Copenhagen, gone were the pristine streets and immaculate Danes pedaling on their bikes switched out for graffitti and stoners. Quite an interesting juxtaposition:


On the way there and back we passed by many furniture and lighting stores, and I got to see the Wegner chairs in a real Danish shop, which was a fun sight:


On the way out, we passed by Tivoli Gardens: 


And off we went to take the train to Sweden...

7 comments: