Monday, October 25, 2010

To Carrara or not to Carrara?

When we finally purchased our home five months ago after a year and a half of looking and waiting (dreaded short sale), the house needed a complete design overhaul.  The kitchen was an eyesore, with its drab, sad cabinets, green slate floors, and beige tiles.  I had always dreamt of an all white kitchen with carrara marble countertops.




The only problem is every slab yard/store strongly suggested I not use carrara marble for kitchen countertops--they insisted it was for bathroom use only.  In fact, they looked at me like I was downright crazy for even contemplating the idea.  It was astonishing that not one person they worked with had ever installed it in a kitchen yet every design/shelter magazine that exists has featured it in their magazines for years and repeatedly.

(Although don't get me wrong, I do love me a carrara marble bathroom.  Can never have enough in my mind.)




All of the warnings almost got to me.  I searched out every alternative, but kept returning to carrara marble.  There is just no substitute.

I am so happy that I didn't listen to all of the naysayers.  I absolutely love the honed carrara marble (bianco) that I did get installed (and sealed.)  I welcome the patina that will come with age and wear and tear.  It wouldn't be so bad to feel that every time I walked in to my kitchen I am transported to Old World Europe.  That day seems pretty far away as it still looks just as good as the day it was installed.

Kitchen pictures to come...

No comments:

Post a Comment