Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Back by Popular Demand: The Singapore Sling

I have had many people ask me what exactly is a Singapore Sling? 


The Singapore Sling was invented by Ngiam Tong Boon, a bartender working at the Long Bar at the Raffles Hotel.  The mystique, for me, began when a professor spoke endlessly about throwing back Singapore Slings at the Raffles Hotel when he was a foreign correspondent in Asia.  I just had to fork over the exorbitant drink (tourist) price and get an authentic taste for myself. (See here).






The original recipe called for gin, Cherry Heering, Bénédictine, and fresh pineapple juice.  The current recipe differs, as it has been refined over the years.


If you like sweet drinks, then this cocktail is for you.  In my opinion, the saccharine cherry taste is the most overpowering flavor.


Here is a recipe:


1 oz. Gin
1/2 oz. Cherry Brandy
3 oz. Pineapple Juice (preferably fresh)
1/4 oz. Benedictine
1/4 oz. Cointreau
1/2 oz. Grenadine
Fill  Club Soda


Shake all ingredients except club soda with ice and strain into a sling glass with crushed ice.


Recipe via Art of Drink


If you want to be like the Long Bar, garnish with both a pineapple and a cherry.





Cheers!





2 comments:

  1. How funny! I took a picture of this sign too and am just about to upload it. I guess everyone does it, huh? :) Thanks for stopping by my blog. It's always nice to meet a fellow traveler! Happy Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is funny! I love the travel section of your blog, the pictures of the hotel from India (Taj Lake Palace) are out of this world! Thank you so much for stopping by, made my day :)

    ReplyDelete