Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Moving On

It is with heartbreaking sadness and hopeful optimism that I announce that we will be moving to Dallas, Texas from my beloved Southern California (of which I am a native).  My husband's job is taking us there.


We spent a year-and-a-half looking for homes, and when we finally got this short sale after months of painstakingly wishing and waiting, we were thrilled.



I had eight months to decorate everything in my head, including planning our renovation on a budget, envisioning furniture placement, repurposing existing furniture, and selling the rest.


Here is our newly painted home.







We were so anxious to move in that we were able to accomplish what we didn't think was possible: to remodel the entire house in 10 days!  This included demo; new flooring on the first floor; baseboards; renovating the kitchen; replacing the carpet upstairs; ripping out the carpet/vinyl and putting travertine & tile in the laundry room, master bathroom and upstairs guest bathroom; new hardware & door knobs; painting the entire interior; as well as many other details.


It will be incredibly hard to leave our dream home in Orange County and my family and friends who are nearby in San Diego.


My inspiration is Robert and Cortney Novogratz of 9 by Design fame.  They are husband and wife self-taught designers who purchase unconventional spaces and perform multi-million dollar renovations.  Their properties are gorgeous and perfectly styled--they move in their seven children--put their house on the market, only to do it all over again, and make their next property even better.  They now do this with cameras following them for their Bravo television show.  If they can do this with seven kids (7!), being followed by a camera crew, I can surely start over in Dallas.





images via Sixx Design
It feels like a daunting task, but it will be exciting to eventually (hopefully sooner than later) have a new home to renovate, decorate, and furnish, which I hope will be equally exhilarating and satisfying.

P.S.  Even though we are moving, I will still be continuing our home tour in the following weeks.

1 comment:

  1. We will miss you Kate! But I promise to come visit you there and you know I mean it. And I definitely feel like the move is a blessing in disguise. Let this be the first of many house renovations (like the Novogratz's did) and maybe you'll really make a career out of it. You are THAT talented!!

    ReplyDelete